02 March 2010

Everyone loves a formal apology

(especially Tiger Woods >8D)

As I was getting into bed last night, I realised what I'd done. Here I am posting about ice cream while you all just got hit with (am I getting this right?) a full-out snowicane. You know it's bad when they invent new words. While the weather has been pleasantly unextraordinary over in Bologna (roughly the same latitude as New York), these pictures keep cropping up all over Facebook:

Wait, what's that? Let's take a closer look...

That's right--A METRE OF SNOW. D: You poor frozen babies!

Another blogger who lives up in the mountains, Catskill Kiwi, reported a whopping six feet of powder!
 
She says, "see those faint posts sticking out near the tree line… that’s my garden fence, they are 5 foot posts."

@__@ Was not trying to rub it in. If anything, I'm a bit sad I missed it...extreme weather is always exciting, especially obscene snowfalls. You never see this sort of thing south of Buffalo. I can't really say I hope it will happen next winter, can I?

To console you, here's an anecdote to make up for it (and you can even learn some Italian in the process)! Out at an aperitivo (think cocktail party food, but served at a bar), we were all talking about fast food. What I said was: 

Beh, ma i hamburger di McDonalds sono sempre pieni di preservativi. 

What I had intended to say was, "Well, but McDonalds' hamburgers are always full of preservatives." But the Italians all went quiet and looked at me a bit funny (that's how you know you're about to learn a word the hard way). QUICK ITALIAN LESSON.

                           i preservativi    ≠   preservatives

                           i conservativi   =   preservatives

                           i preservativi    =  ...condoms

DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING. Darn ambiguous Latin derivatives. They hastily corrected me, and of course no one minded (Federico was laughing so hard that he spilt his entire whiskey in my lap...) Of all the mistakes you can possibly make, my favourite ones are the really hilarious ones because they make good stories. :P

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahaha, I lawled. Jonathan was like "well... in America that's not entirely false." :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps we could convince them it's an American idiom expressly for describing how nasty McDonalds meat is. ^^

    Or that they add them for extra chewiness.

    ReplyDelete