31 January 2010

Via Nicolò Machiavelli 1

Mum asked for pictures. Ergo, pictures. And you'd all better be pumped about it, because due to a slow connection this post took me pretty much all day.

This is where I live, relative to the city, on Via Nicolò Machiavelli 1. It's about a 20-minute bus ride into the centre of the city, or a 40 minute walk, depending on where you're going. San Donnino is the name of the park that is close by.

 
San Donnino is in the top right corner, marked by the "A" arrow. My map's colours are prettier than Google Maps colours.


That's right, I live on Machiavelli Street. Don't feel bad--I'd be jealous too.

We live on the second floor (that would be the third floor in American terms) of this building:

The gate at the bottom left is the one that gave me all that trouble in the last post...

I rent out the spare room, and it's the greatest room ever. For starters, there are a bajillion books: 

A whole wall! >:3

 
EVEN MOAR BUKS! 

Many of them are English sci-fi/fantasy titles translated into Italian, like Terry Pratchett, Tolkien, Frank Herbert, George R.R. Martin, R.A. Salvatore, and more.

I also found these:

Harry Potter e la Pietra Filosofica
Harry Potter e la Camera dei Segreti
Harry Potter e il Prigioniero di Azkaban
Harry Potter e il Calice di Fuoco
Harry Potter e l'Ordine della Fenice
Harry Potter e il Principe di Mezzosangue
Harry Potter e i Doni della Morte
...Recognise any titles? :)

And outside my room, there is another bookshelf that runs the whole length of the hallway, probably double or triple the size of the bookshelf in the first picture. Basically, a lot of books. I am quite content.
My bed/couch. It has teddies on it. ^o^

My pillow is terribly cute. The clocks must be referring to 7:00 in the morning, because 7 p.m. isn't even dinnertime in Italy, let alone bedtime.
I don't know why my closet is in black and white, but it is organised! 

The view out over my balcony--kind of strange lighting. The person above me has cool sheets.

Stuffed zebras atop the TV. :)

Vampire bunny slippers. One day I'm going to wear these on the bus and see if anyone notices. 

The room is also attached to a small kitchen, which is pretty awesome. It's full of all sorts of goodies and toys, including an immersion blender, yoghurt maker, baby jars of nutella, juicer, and an electric cheese grater. The electric cheese grater, I've been told, is for when you need to grate more than 1 kilogram or 2.2 pounds (!!!) of cheese at once. Only in Italy.

Teensy nutella jars! I love them.


The whole kitchen, with the fridge behind me. You can see how small the nutella jars are on the bench.

The other kitchen is down the hallway. This is where all the magic happens...


To the people who complain that their kitchens are too small: I challenge you to take a good look at this and consider that this kitchen (all 10 square feet of it) produces two to three magnificent homemade meals a day, often up to four courses. And fresh pasta made without a stand mixer or a pasta roller. And on top of that, she works! Go and be ashamed of yourselves.


It is a rare day that there is not some kind of food on the table 24/7, just in case you are attacked by starvation at 4 in the afternoon. 

I will end with the much-promised pictures of kitties. The Galliani family keeps a cat named Dark, who has gorgeous black fur and brilliant yellow-green eyes. His favourite activities include rubbing himself against furniture, not looking at the camera, and moving too quickly for me to get a good photo of him.
Dark in a rare moment of stillness, watching me out of the corner of his eye...

 ...his large, luminous green eyes. 

If he were more of the sitting-down type of cat, I would have taken some more portrait-type photos, but these are the few that didn't come out blurry, and the flash was too harsh.

Dark is different from both my cats; Ashley, tired of killing things outside, usually goes to sleep on a bed or a lap when she's inside. Lucy spends the majority of her day being a comatose marshmallow ball of fluffers. By contrast, Dark always seems to be on the lookout for something, usually a head-scratch.

"am i interested in this thing no i am not." (The thing is me. :3)

 
Dark contemplates whether or not to stalk the kitchen. 

I hope that gives you a sense of the house. I'm sure more pictures will follow, especially once I can get past my uploading woes. Until then, ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment